Buying a home is an exciting time in your life. After years of saving for a deposit and months of searching the market, you have found your dream home and are ready to sign on the dotted line.
But before you do, there are some essential inspections you should undertake to ensure your dream does not become a waking nightmare. It is highly recommended for homebuyers to include a pre-purchase pest inspection in the sales “Special Conditions” section of the sales contract.
How Pre-Purchase Inspections Work
Pre-purchase pest inspections are a safeguard against discovering a termite infestation after settlement. Once the sale has been completed and you move in, pest problems are the buyer’s responsibility.
Visual inspection during the home open is a good start. However, termites in Perth are subterranean and difficult to spot. That’s where a professional pre-purchase pest inspection is needed, to detect and assess termite damage and eliminate any existing pests.
What’s included in a pre-purchase pest inspection?
- Detailed inspection by technicians with 10+ years termite experience
- Full 15-page report to Australian Standards
- Current termite activity, previous damage, wood rot, and at-risk areas
- Emailed Immediately using our on-site reporting system
- Emergency inspections available
Are there Australian Standards for pre-purchase inspections?
Yes, there are several Australian Standards for termite and timber pest inspections. Antipesto conducts pest inspections in line with all these standards, for total peace of mind.
- 3-2010 Inspection of Buildings – Timber Pest inspections
- 0-2007 Inspection of Buildings – General requirements
- 1-2014 Termite Management – New building work
- 2-2017 Termite Management – In and around existing buildings and structures – Guidelines
- 3-2014 Termite Management – Assessment criteria for termite management systems
Are Pre-Purchase Inspections Worth the Money?
In short, yes. However, that does not mean you should pay whatever cost the pest inspector asks for. Here at Antipesto, we are advocates of affordable, high-quality pest control for the benefit of homeowners.
Our comprehensive pre-purchase pest inspection is just $175 and provides a detailed 15-page report emailed directly to you from the site by a highly experienced termite technician. As well as detecting signs of termites, our report covers:
- Defibration (fibrous material for termites to attack)
- Fungal growth
- Moisture detection
- Wood borers and other pests
- Exposed roof wiring
For only $175, any potential pest problems are clearly outlined in a professional and thorough report.
Who pays for pre-purchase pest inspections?
Often the buyer will request that the seller pays for the inspection as part of the sale conditions. However, this is not always the case and it is normally a matter of buyer beware. If there is no pre-purchase pest inspection written into your contract, you may seek to arrange an inspection before signing on the dotted line.
The Cost of NOT Inspecting Before Purchasing
Even new and fully renovated properties should be inspected for pests. Otherwise, the buyer is risking heartbreak when they move in and discover wood borers or termites in the timber. Rectifying a pest problem after moving in is not just disappointing; it can also be expensive. So before you move in, ensure you know exactly what kind of property you are purchasing – inside and out.